Continuing our series of interviews with Metro Mentorship winners we caught up with Lottie Bea Spencer winner of the LCC BA Metro award.
1. Firstly congratulations on winning this year’s LCC BA Metro award - what does it mean to you to have won?
Thank you! It’s an honour to have won! It can be quite a daunting feeling for recent graduates coming straight out of university and wondering what to do next, so having everyone at Metro there for advice and being able to use all of the wonderful facilities there is amazing!
2. What are you looking forward to learning or hoping to gain from the experts here at Metro during your 12 month mentoring programme?
I’m looking forward to having the access and opportunity to utilise the facilities in order to continue to develop and feed my practice. Also having already met some of the team working at Metro, I know that if I need advice or any of my questions answering, I’ll be in good hands!
3. Your work seems to be quite varied presenting youth culture, fashion and portraiture. How would you describe your photographic style and what inspires you to shoot?
I think my style is pretty playful, laid-back, sometimes humorous. There’s so many things that inspire me, be it an inanimate object, person or landscape. I hope that my work ultimately stirs some sort of feeling or visual stimulation for the viewer.
4. What sparked your interest in photography and have you always had an ambition to become a photographer?
I come from a pretty creative family, which helped. I also really enjoyed going out and taking pictures of my friends growing up, so I guess my interest in photographing people stemmed from there.
5. Do you have any interesting current projects or upcoming exhibitions you’d like to share with us?
Yes, I've actually been working on a couple of new projects and editorials which will be coming out soon! I've also just been featured on Dazed digital and have another exciting graduate feature due in the next few weeks. So i'm being kept busy at the minute!
6. What are your ultimate photography/career goals?
When my photographs pay my bills and helps fund my travels.