Our green credentials are essential to move forward as a business into 2015 and beyond. Since launch Metro Imaging has continued to recognise that business operations have an influence on the environment, to this extent the company follows the following principals:
- Two thirds of all paper in use by Metro is either Fuji or Kodak, both of whom are certified with ISO 14001 environmental management system standard.
- In 2012 Metro will be moving towards having all packaging materials one hundred per cent recyclable.
- All chemical waste is recycled and the waste is then taken to a treatment site where the process begins for the recovery of silver. The resultant silver is formed into ingots and sold to the precious metals market.
Our Environmental Statement
At Metro, we take responsibility of our environmental actions and are committed to reducing the impact they have both on the local and global environment.
Since our launch in 1980, we have continued to recognise that our products and business operations have an influence on the environment and we take the management of this very seriously. We recognise our environmental and employment responsibilities and continue to review and improve standards.
We appreciate that our actions have an ongoing and direct affect on the local and global environment and we take responsibility to ensure that we:
- Regularly assess the environmental impact of our business processes and products and continue to take action to minimize waste.
- Maintain current best practice and continue to minimise our waste and reuse or recycle as much of it as possible.
- Wholly support and comply with the requirements of current environmental legislation and codes of practice.
- Raise awareness and promote good environmental practice to all staff and enlist their support and commitment to conform to the high standards it requires.
- Encourage the adoption of similar principles by our suppliers.
- Minimise energy and water usage in our building in order to conserve supplies.
- Continue to maintain our ‘Green’ cycle courier service.
To create a meaningful evaluation of our environmental impact we have concentrated our focus on the following areas:
- What legislation applies to us and how we are complying with it
- Future legal requirements that pose risks and opportunities to our business
- Past and present pollution incidents and potential pollution risks
- Raw materials - including materials used in production processes and those used in the day-to-day running of the business.
- Packaging - how it is used, how it is made, how much it costs and how much disposal costs.
- Waste - how much our business produces of different types of waste, size and number of containers, costs of waste removal and frequency of waste collections.
- Energy - types of energy used, how much is being used and at what cost.
- Water - look at where and how water is used, the cost involved (including effluent disposal), waste and potential for savings.
- Transport - including number of each type of vehicle, mileage per vehicle, type and amount of fuel used.
To gather this information, we have used the following sources:
- Documentation including waste transfer notes, utility bills.
- Licences and permits.
- Metre readings.
- Policies, procedures and strategy documents from partner organisations and individual research.
- Walk-around surveys and site inspections.
- Interviews with key staff.
At Metro, we aim to reduce our environmental footprint and contribute towards making the environment a cleaner, greener and more sustainable place to live in for now and future generations. Our plans include:
- Waste minimisation. To evaluate operations and ensure that they are as efficient as possible.
- Recycling. To actively promote recycling both internally and amongst our customers.
- Environmental Legislation. To ensure the company meets all environmental legislation relating to Metro Imaging.
If you would like a copy of our environmental evaluation, please contact us.